Monday, October 11, 2010
Something Old/Something New
The morning temperatures have dropped here making it easy to go driving around (especially if your car has no air conditioning). I left home a little after 8 and scooted down to the Roosevelt district and reintroduced myself to this property I've been keeping an eye on for some time. I took several shots, and due to the extreme intensity of the sun none of them were to my liking. This is as good as it gets. I was actually able to walk around inside the new wrought iron gate. I saw the new windows but that was it as far as new. The rest of it screamed OLD, it screamed HELP ME, REJUVENATE ME, DON'T LEAVE ME HERE TO DIE ALONE! We bonded, this property and I, but I refused to let myself linger. So off I went. However, I seriously contemplated going home, getting the ladder, and returning to rip that TV antenna off the roof of this building. Of all the nerve ~ a TV antenna on a building like this!
Downtown. Too much light, too many shadows because there was too much light. I wandered around with my map of historic properties, many of which seem to have disappeared. Others were on the wrong side of the light rail tracks and I just couldn't seem to get there from here.
So I headed for west of the state capitol building in search of some old homes but I ran into the aftermath of the Komen Run for the Cure, with thousands (about 30 of them, in fact) of runners, walkers, moms pushing strollers, all trying to cross the street in front of me to return to their cars, which were parked on either side of all streets, making the pathway a one-lane trip to a head-on collision. I managed to emulate a movie escape route and get out of the neighborhood and decided to go up Grand Avenue, a street in our town that goes against the grain of our perfect north/south/east/west symmetry, along the old railroad tracks, with junkyards, with building materials, and car carriers on either side. Did I find anything? Nope.
I got off Grand in Glendale, wandered around there for a bit, back to the neighborhood where I've photo'd good junk and peeling paint. No longer. They anticipated my arrival. They went into neighborhood rehab!
So two hours later I found my way back home, a quarter of a tank of gas later, three lousy pictures of the same building, none of which make my heart go zing, so I'm back to packing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Isn't the weather spectacular though? I absolutely LOVE our mornings right now. Plus you got a break from packing and we get to see a very nice old building which seems to have a lot of character.
Mama said there'd be days like this! The weather looks perfect. Who cares if your photos weren't?! At least you got out and about on a beautiful day. Looks like a pretty neat old building you found too. I can do without the TV antennae, but like the wrought iron fence.
Oh how I hate those day when you find one or two good shot, but hey at least it was more than you had. I so love the Roosevelt district. So many homes in need of a little love. Here's to your next adventure, may it be filled with lots more good memories.
But you probably needed a little break from packing anyway. I'll tell you what makes my heart zing - is the composition on the photo. Love the spiky tops of the fence in front of the building. And the antennae....I would have been tempted to edit it right out!
Glad you got a break and were able to get out. You cruised through a lot of different places in your two hours. I still need the weather to be a little cooler for me.
Post a Comment