Thursday, October 28, 2010

Girl on a Gray

Today was a day when I really wished I had better equipment.  One of the purchases I intend to make after the sale of my house is a new camera.  Now whether or not that will be soon or after the first of the year I'm not sure, but I'm determined it will happen.

Today I went to the Arizona State Fair.  It was 92 degrees ~ hot!  I had to stand in line for half an hour just to get in.  Of course I got in free because today was free day ~ or else I could have chosen senior day for a $2 admission.  Parking was $10 unless I wanted to walk two more blocks and save $5.  I decided to be the big spender and shelled out 10 bucks to park close so I could stand in line longer!

The creation of the following picture was an absolute fluke.  As I was leaving the fairgrounds I discovered the youth rodeo was in progress so I went to the arena and watched from afar beautiful young cowgirls competing in the barrel racing.  My little point and shoot was no match for these beauties but I zoomed her out and waited for an opportune moment.  Just as this young rider came swooping through my viewfinder I punched the shutter, only to hear the crowd groan with pain and dismay.  When I looked up I saw the aftermath of what I had poorly captured with the camera:  the horse sliding, throwing the rider.  I almost got it, although it is a blur.


I totally missed the next scene ~ the girl being dragged by the horse with her boot caught in the stirrup.  At this point the crowd is standing, yelling "Noooooo!"

But a rodeo hand appeared on the scene and helped the rider to recover and get disentangled from a thousand pounds of horseflesh dragging her in the dirt.


In the flash of two seconds, it was all over and done with, but a cowgirl never leaves her hat on the field.

6 comments:

Magpie said...

What a wonderful series of shots. Fantastic!
Did you enjoy the fair? Was it worth the trip?

DAnna said...

Loved these photos! Especially the last one. The horse seems to be thinking "well, that didn't go so well, did it."

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Wow, great shots, Kathy.

SouthernSass said...

I think they are great shots! I am so happy the little girl was okay - I bet she is one tough cookie!

I too, want a new camera and hopefully "Santa" will bring me one! :)

Glenda said...

Incredible shots! I'm glad the little cowgirl was OK!

Suburban Girl said...

Wow. I am glad she is OK. What are you shooting with? If you have the option of a fast shutter speed that would be my choice for rodeo. You might even have an auto setting for that.

I do like that last shot.