Sunday, September 4, 2011

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever ...


... in Arizona.  From the mountainside of Jerome, across the Verde Valley, through the red rocks of Sedona, the aspen and pine-studded forests of Flagstaff to the San Francisco Peaks (can you see them on the horizon in the upper left?).  I think such a dramatic view would outweigh having to occasionally look at that sand and gravel pit in the valley!  Tip for nonlocals:  This 200-mile geological escarpment across the state of Arizona is called the Mogollon Rim, and the proper pronunciation is muggy-YON.

13 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Ut looks like a totally different world from where I live. I wonder why it's called the Verde Valley, since verde means GREEN. Just saying.

Sharon Creech said...

Wouldn't mind cutting off the bottom half of the photo - but then maybe the distance beauty looks more so *because* of the contrast. . .?

Mildred said...

Such an amazing landscape!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful shot. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment:o)

¤ Happy day ¤

Birdman said...

Quite a panorama. Thanks for the pronunciation guide too.

TexWisGirl said...

wow. wow. WOW! gorgeous!!!

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, the colors in this are amazing.

biebkriebels said...

That is an amazing view, so much to see in the photo. Beautiful.

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Wonderful expansive view. Brings back fond memories of when I lived in the area.
Great capture!

Magpie said...

What a view! It's amazing how something so far away can seem "just over the next hill". :)

Rohrerbot said...

Next month!!! Can't wait to get out and explore some of the area around Jerome and Flagstaff!! Beautiful shot.

Lisa said...

Amazing capture and so much beauty. I have been south of there but not this area. I would love to see north into the hills from you. Wow.

Terrie said...

I swear I've stood right where you stood to take this photo - I may even have that roof top in a photo somewhere! I loved Jerome - it was a pretty area to visit.

PETRO50 said...

Great contrast between the desert and green in poředí. Amazing and interesting for me. Must be in these places harsh climate. / Peter