Friday, December 10, 2010

Goodbye Arizona

Today the sun set on my days in Arizona and the evening sky was all ablaze as if just for me.  Or at least that's the way I thought of it.  I leave early tomorrow morning to return to my roots in the piney woods of East Texas.  My mom, who will be 90 her next birthday, is finally reaching the stage of her life where she needs a bit of help.  Not much, mind you.  She still walks twice a day with her dog, goes to church three times a week, visits her younger friends in the nursing home after getting her hair done every Friday afternoon, and is known to mow her yard on a frequent basis on her riding mower/tractor.

I shipped my computer earlier this week and it arrived on Thursday.  I will be having satellite Internet installed on Monday, so I'll only be gone a couple of days.  I'm looking forward to this next chapter of my life, but I have to be honest.  I will definitely miss these gorgeous sunsets!  (All I did to this picture was crop it and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck, kathy.... i can't believe you are gone ... i think i am in denial ... much of like most things in my life these days. take good care of your momma... love always, c.

Sharon Creech said...

Beautiful photo; thanks for posting and good luck in your 'new life.'

Anonymous said...

Excellent timing; the funeral for a favorite aunt is taking place today in MN. She would love this picture, too. I know you'll cherish your time with your mom. I'll be anticipating your new adventures. Sally

Anonymous said...

I thought you were staying for Santa's last visit to Em? Did Santa come early to Phx? Happy travels and safe trip. I know you'll find some spectacular sunsets in TX too.
Hugs,
mrj

SRQ said...

Beautiful capture. AZ gave you a grand farewell. Sounds like you're ahead of the game with computer issues and moving. I'm not familiar with satellite internet. How does that work? I'll look forward to your posts as you re-explore your roots. The way you describe your mother she sounds like a hoot! Promise to post a picture on her riding lawn mower???

Brenda's Arizona said...

Best of luck, Kathy!
I am looking forward to your first post from 'afar'- it will be an adventure! I look forward to your visits to AZ (and a trip to Waldo's for lunch!). Be well, be strong!

biebkriebels said...

A nice thing to do, change your life to care for your mother. Best wishes for your new adventure.

Glenda said...

Wow ! What a good-bye!! I wish you many happy days in your new home!!

Magpie said...

Oh, I'm sad to see you leave, but happy to know you've arrived. I know you know what I mean. Your Mom will appreciate you in ways she won't be able to express, so don't lose sight of all you're accomplishing...the goodness in your heart. Looking forward to seeing your little part of Texas through your eyes.

Suburban Girl said...

Your mom sounds amazing!! Wow, I am impressed. So nice of you to move back with her. Hope Texas welcomes you just as nicely as Arizona said good bye.