Monday, June 28, 2010
Old Outdoor Fireplace
There is a large vacant lot about a mile from my house that I pass frequently. One day last week I noticed a block wall on one side of the lot that had some deteriorating stucco over red brick with a beautiful patch of bougainvillea cascading over the top of it so I made an appointment with myself to go back early some morning to check it out further because I've become fascinated with old brick and old stucco. I made sure to leave my sandals at home and wear good shoes because the ground was covered with lots of dead brown grass, and who knows what lurks in such stuff. While checking out the wall I happened to notice in the far back corner of the lot along the wall that separates the property from the adjacent owner this old outdoor fireplace. It has a brick hearth, a flagstone and brick patio, the red brick bench, a wood cabinet and even the remnants of burned wood in the fireplace. There obviously once was a home here (I've been in the area 30 years and I don't remember a house in this spot) and this is all that remains. I love how the early morning sunlight pokes its head through the vines and the trees to splash in dappled masses on the patio. Maybe tomorrow I'll show you the wall which originally drew me to find this treasure of a spot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
This is such a wonderful find. Looking forward to seeing the wall.
That's amazing that it's just there.
How cool. I love outdoor fireplaces even if they used to be indoor fireplaces!
A very interesting find - and photo. I wonder what those walls could tell us?
The morning sunlight is gorgeous in this Kathy!
I would think a home to go with us would have been magnificent.
I'm also thinking this setting would be a wonderful one for a bride to be photo shoot or a young lady's senior portrait with the scattered petals.
This got me day dreaming. :)
very nice composition, a the treatment is excellent, like a lomo effect but without the vignette.
Interesting. You never know what you'll find when your not looking.
Thanks for stopping by pcadp. Yes, I wish that figure on my calculator was my actual bank balance.
Post a Comment