Monday, May 10, 2010
The Houses of Portland Street Historic District
The houses of the Portland Street Historic District are beautiful examples of bungalow and craftsman architecture, many including the porte cochere, the drive-through for carriages which became popular in urban architecture after the turn of the century. A very prestigious section of our city to call home, the great majority of the residences here have been refurbished to their former grandeur.
Below is what I call the Crown Jewel of Portland Street. I'm curious why it has never been listed on the National Register or the Phoenix Historic Property Register, but I'm confident it will be one day.
To return to the main blog which features the vintage auto pictured in the first photograph, CLICK HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Kathy, I agree...this one is a gem!!
WOW! I love the bottom one. And I once went to see a lawyer on Portland Street whose office was in a home that looked a lot like the one on the top. If you are going to ask me what I was doing there, I plead the Fifth. :-) (By the way, did you see that old car in the driveway of the first photo? YOWZA!)
Wow, cool! Botha them!
What grand houses! The second one is especially unique and beautiful! I'm amazed at your knowledge of your city!
love the exposure here, perfect.
Post a Comment