Sunday, May 23, 2010

Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District



The Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District contains a mix of stately mansions and comfortable middle-class homes in an area bounded on the north by the beautiful 200-acre Encanto Park.  The neighborhood was developed in the late 1920s primarily due to the availability of transportation.

New residential districts were tied to the transportation systems of their day and were laid out and developed in a steady progression north from downtown. The Kenilworth streetcar line, which ran to Encanto Boulevard, was built by the subscription of adjoining property owners. By 1926, the price of a Model T Ford had dropped to an all time low of $260, resulting in a population made mobile by the automobile.

To view the district's most recognizable property, return to the main blog HERE.

4 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

I love your historic district. Keep showing it to us!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

How nice to see the historical buildings. Really beautiful. The workmanship at the post office is exceptional. To go further back, I love the ornamental cabbage. You have achieved a watercolour, delightful.

Thérèse said...

Hard to believe this house with the "ivy?" is right here in Phoenix!
I love these historic districts.

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous houses and a neat mosaic. I love the house with all the ivy.