Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bennie


City Cemetery
Henderson, Texas

Bennie
son of
T.C. & E.S. Arnold
died
Sept. 14, 1886
aged
3 years 9 mo's
& 5 days
~
Papa's pride, mamma's Joy, little
Bennie waits our coming in
the (illegible)ing courts of Heaven

13 comments:

Julie said...

Not that they were counting!

Markers for children are heart-rending, aren't they. Against the natural order.

I wonder why they referred to themselves by their initils only, and yet to theie son by his diminutive?

I like the statue of the boy with dog holding flowers. Being 1886, my guess is that it was carved by a mason, stone mason, that is. The head looks like it was encuraged to depart from the neck. Sad that.

Welcome to Taphopile Tragics, Kathy. I do hope you enjoy being amongst us and sampling our research and interests. I value your contribution.

Suburban Girl said...

He must have been very loved and greatly missed.

biebkriebels said...

A touching grave, so sorry that the head has lost (vandalism?)

Gail Dixon said...

What a beautiful grave marker, even with the head missing on the statue. Poor baby. He was obviously very much loved.

TexWisGirl said...

very sad!

Magpie said...

What an amazing tribute. I'm sorry to see that it has been defaced.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I've seen you over at Brenda's Kathy. This is beautiful and I love the wildflowers. This child must of come from a wealthy family. I hope they went on to have children that survived - maybe kin to you?

Everything Changes said...

Great shot, but sad. I have been thinking of visiting the local cemetery. It is a rustic desert one and could prove interesting for shots, but those places are also so sad.

Anonymous said...

The death of a child is so tragic... lovely statue, so sad the head has been broken off...

Lorelle said...

Those older graves are so beautiful! He was a most loved little boy!!

CaT said...

a pretty picture with the grave and the white flowers in the grass as background...
do you know what happened to the head?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a remarkable marker this is. I'm sure it was made especially for him. How touching.

spindrift,maine said...

Those little boy legs and creased ankles do me in! Thanks for sharing this, Kathy.