Monday, February 25, 2013

Winter Reveals


This old barn, along with two other buildings is probably no more than 20 yards from a major highway I take at least twice a week but until a few weeks ago I had never seen it before.  That's because this area of Deep East Texas is a heavily forested vegetation-filled region and for about ten months out of the year the foliage hides these old beauties from the likes of me.

25 comments:

Mari said...

I love the shape and color of this barn. I'm surprised the color is still quite vibrant.

TexWisGirl said...

sweet old place! i have one of these, too, on my drive into town - only noticed it last winter for the first time in 9 years at that point. :)

SRQ said...

Amazing how foliage disguises things. Nice discovery. This poor barn has seen better days, hasn't it?

Leave It To Davis said...

Of course, I love your barn, but I really do like your title. Very clever!

Gail Dixon said...

That's one positive about winter; it allows us to really see! I'm glad you went back and found this. Even though dilapidated, it makes for a great photo and gets the imagination going.

debi said...

Winter is dreary but usually reveals some gems. Great barn shot.

Nell at njschout said...

Looks like the roof is starting to go! Great find.

Elaine said...

Beautiful barn and photo! Amazing that we can pass something numerous times and miss seeing it.

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Great capture. I can almost hear the whispered thanks from these once useful barns for our acknowledgments.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

winter reveal ... please save me - i'm in need of TLC. thanks. ha. ha!! such character. ( :

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm seeing lots of hidden beauties too. Need to take some time and get pics before the leaves start popping out!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a shame this beauty is hidden most of the year!

Tanya Breese said...

it's fun to find "new" things in the winter!

Anonymous said...

It's places like this that intrigue me the most... I love hearing the history of them.

Thanks for joining =-)

Amy Burzese said...

It does have a lot of character. That has happened to me too. Something I've driven by all my life and all of a sudden I see it.

Karen Lakis said...

It's funny how places like this can hide in plain site. I've had a few new sightings this winter, also. I guess bare trees are good for something. Great find!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet-looking barn.

You know, I didn't think I'd like moving back to the Midwest because I do not enjoy winter. Since I've taken up photography, I find I look forward to winter because the trees and brush are bare and it's so much easier to see wildlife and wonderful rustic buildings like this. :-)

Thanks for your visit and comment on my Barn Charm image.

~Lindy

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous find for BC this week, I love the red!

Suburban Girl said...

There are some good things about winter! And nothing beats a red barn!

Indrani said...

Nice warm feeling to this.

Rohrerbot said...

Beautiful barn Kathy! I'm always a fan of the red ones:)

Elisa N Viajes said...

Such a wonderful picture of that old barn. Sometimes we find interesting places near others we always visit
Nice to meet your blog
Elisa, from Argentina

Everything Changes said...

Beautiful shot, and the old barn red is so nostaglic for me.

Lisa Gordon said...

I just love old places like this. They're so much fun to explore. Wonderful character in this one, Kathy, and you have shown that so beautifully here.

A Colorful World said...

Look at that rich red color! It's just too beautiful to be hidden so much of the year!