Saturday, April 17, 2010
Kenilworth School/Kenilworth Historic District
These two photos show the detail of the colums and the frieze of the Kenilworth School. If you click on the left picture to enlarge it, you may be able to see the yellow plastic material which I presume is a pigeon detractor. It's not working very well because when I was there, there was a lot of pigeon poop on the walkway below. But isn't this a beautiful school? This is what schools should look like, in my opinion!
Two beautiful examples of bungalow/craftsman architecture homes close to, if not already, 100 years old in the Kenilworth Historic District. In the first photo I was experimenting with putting text on a photo and by the time I got to the second one, I had already forgotten that that was my goal. Oh, well, there are other things more important!
Kenilworth Historic District is an 80-acre subdistrict within the Roosevelt Neighborhood MRA. The tract of land was sold by A.G. Hubbard in 1910 to H.I. Latham who two weeks later sold the property to the Hartranft-Tweed Real Estate Company. So property flips were going on even a hundred years ago!
Kenilworth developed into an exclusive residential area due to three major influences: the extension of the Phoenix Railway streetcar line through the addition; a vigorous advertising campaign which went so far as to say that “the air is better in Kenilworth”; and the construction of the Kenilworth School in 1920.
For a picture of the beautiful neoclassical Kenilworth School, which is still in operation today, please return to my main blog HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Love the detail on the school! Old schools were such grand buildings, weren't they? Even the country schools had such personality.
Kathy the first home would be my choice. It's lovely. Is that a really deep porch or a breezeway? I could easily live in that house...well I mean if I could afford it that is.
Look very stately but are they comfortable inside?
If I have a 'next' house I hope it is a craftsman. Fully restored would be nice too. I love them.
Lovely pictures of a charming community, thank you for sharing. Thank you also for stopping by my blog.
Beautiful post.
You are right Kathy, the school is beautiful with its workmanship. I had a look through your posts and admired your photographic work. The Gazania just catches the eye she is such a show off! Gorgeous. I hope you could save some of your heirloom tomatoes. It is the way with vegetables, some seedlings are given away, some are kept and planted and some are attacked by creepy crawlies in waiting
Anyway it is still fun to grow some food.
Post a Comment